Choosing a Sponsor
A Confirmation Sponsor is someone who stands up for you before the community, presents you to the bishop, and witnesses the anointing with the chrism. Every candidate for confirmation must have a sponsor. The following items are guidelines to help you choose a sponsor:
- A Baptismal godparent is the first choice for a Confirmation Sponsor
- A sponsor sees that the person to be confirmed acts as a true witness to Christ, faithfully fulfilling the obligations connected with Confirmation.
- A sponsor should be at least 16 years of age and a confirmed Catholic who has received Eucharist and who leads a faith-filled life.
- Parents may not be sponsors.
- Ideally the sponsor should be a member of the same parish as the candidate. It should be someone who is available to the candidate frequently and who can offer continued interaction: love, advice, support, and witness. If a chosen sponsor lives a far distance from Grove City, a parent may stand in at the events prior to confirmation.
If you have further questions, please contact Julie Dilley, Director of Religious Education, or Madison Stewart, Life Teen and Edge Coordinator.